[Mauiusers] Fair share: 0% target?

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:37:21 MST 2009

Hi all:

I have another fair share question that might sound a bit "wierd".

Right now, our cluster is often underloaded (typically over 60% idle
cycles).  As such, we'd like to start allowing other users to use the
idle cycles.  However, we'd like to ensure that their queue priority
is sufficiently low as to ensure those members who have contributed
capital to the equipment get their fair share first.  So, my thought
was to add these other users with 0% fs target.  That way they'd get
idle time, but if a paying user queue's up jobs, they'd get priority.
If a paying user is massively overusing, then perhaps some of the
freeloaders will get some time at a higher priority than the paying
user; that is OK with me.

Unfortunately, when I add someone as a fs % of 0, it appears they're
not even being included in fs weight calculations (diagnose -f doesn't
show them in the list at all).

Will this work?  Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!
--Jim