[Mauiusers] Queued job not being released?

Michael Durket durket at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu May 7 15:30:28 MDT 2009

I have a job which shows the following on a checkjob command
(I've only reproduced what seem to be the relevant lines of output):

SubmitTime: Thu May  7 10:59:49
   (Time Queued  Total: 3:24:50  Eligible: 00:00:16)

Holds:    Defer
Messages:  cannot start job - RM failure, rc: 15031, msg: 'Premature
end of message'
PE:  1.00  StartPriority:  10
cannot select job 4669711 for partition DEFAULT (job hold active)

And in my maui.cfg file I have the following:

DEFERTIME               00:05:00

Why is this job still queued as of (currently) 3+ hours later?
Shouldn't the deferred hold have been released
within 5 minutes of the first failure? Or is there something I'm not
understanding about deferred holds?
  (The RM failure has been cleared by a restart of Maui - this is due
to a longstanding bug in the communications
between Torque and Maui that we're currently trying to track down here
and fix).

Michael Durket