[Mauiusers] RESOURCELIMITPOLICY PROC seems to work task-wise rather than across all tasks?

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Wed Mar 11 12:14:26 MDT 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Lech Nieroda wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm trying to set up a limit on the number of used processors, so that
> a job which uses more cores than requested at the time of submit is
> cancelled, preferably after some grace time has passed.
> According to the manual the right config would be
>
>  RESOURCELIMITPOLICY PROC:EXTENDEDVIOLATION:CANCEL:00:05:00
>
> which monitors the actual load and should cancel a job if a violation
> takes longer than 5 minutes.
> The problem: it kills any job that exceeds load 1 even if it declares
> several cores at submit time (and it doesn't wait 5 minutes to do so
> but that's another issue).

I have had this exact same issue.  I backed it out because it was causing
more problems then it was worth.  I've also implemented CPUSETS which is
something that you might be interested in to mitigate the damages caused
by these types of issues.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
            http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

Your mouse has moved.  Windows has detected hardware
changes that require a reboot. Click OK to reboot.