[Mauiusers] Maui ignores consumable resources

Jörg Bornschein bornschein at fias.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Jul 30 03:21:55 MDT 2009

Jacques, Hello,

>> I'm having some trouble configuring node-locked consumable resources. We
>> are running maui-3.2.6p21 with torque-2.3.7 on Ubuntu Jaunty. Both
>> compiled locally, not using precompiled packages.
>>
>>-- maui.cfg --
>> [..]
>>
>> NODECFG[cn00]  GRES=cuda:4
>> NODECFG[cn01]  GRES=cuda:4
>> ----
>>
> could you tell us more about your Torque's nodes file ?
>
> Here I guess you must have :
>
> cn00 np=8 cuda

I tried it with and without "cuda".

> You should also show us your queue, something like this :
>
> set queue cudaqueue resources_default.neednodes = cuda
> set queue cudaqueue resources_default.nodes = 1:cuda

My queue configuration is trivial:

set queue full_nodes queue_type = Execution
set queue full_nodes resources_default.walltime = 01:00:00
set queue full_nodes enabled = True
set queue full_nodes started = True

When I add the neednodes statement you proposed, than things change:
Jobs are now (correctly) scheduled to nodes with the "cuda" property (so
they run on cn00, cn01), but "cuda" is not handled as a consumable resource:

  qsub -l other=cuda,nodes=8:ppn=1

starts 8 processes on the cn01 node -- although it only has 4 CUDA devices.

To me it seems consumable resources and node-properties are orthogonal
concepts. With the configuration you proposed it obeys node properties,
but still ignores the fact that there is a consumable "cuda".

> And in maui.cfg :
>
> CLASSCFG[cuda]

I didn't have that before and added it to my configuration. But I do not
notice any difference.....

thanks,