[Mauiusers] Fairshare -- Explanation

Greenseid, Joseph M (IS) Joseph.Greenseid at ngc.com
Mon Jul 20 07:14:26 MDT 2009

The fairshare section of the docs should provide a good starting point: http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/6.3fairshare.shtml

What we've configured in our environment is a pretty simple set of rules where each project group gets a fairshare target of 1/X where X is the total number of groups on the cluster (for example, 5 groups means the FSTARGET for a group is 20%).  Then you can configure the FSINTERVAL, FSDEPTH, FSDECAY, FSWEIGHT, FSGROUPWEIGHT and/or one or two other things and you're good to go (if you want to include expansion factor into your priority, etc).

For us, this has worked out well, because sometimes the only one or two groups are running a lot, so the system doesn't sit idle, but as soon as another user comes on that hasn't run in a while, their priority jumps them to the top of the queue.

--Joe