[Mauiusers] Fairshare -- Explanation

Philip Peartree P.Peartree at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 17:40:29 MDT 2009

This may not be the place for this, but I can't fathom it myself. I'm
trying to implement fairshare on a cluster, currently we have 5
execution queues and a routing queue set up in torque, the queues are
prioritised starting from 50 down to 10. What I want to do is prevent
any user from using more than their fair percentage of the cluster
(i.e. time averaged over, say a week, that each user is entitled to
1/total users of that time) This is to prevent a recurring problem
where users load up the queue with lots of jobs and thus prevent other
users from using the cluster. I don't know if fairshare is the best
way to do it, or quite how to set up the policy. Could anyone offer
any guidance?

Phil Peartree
University of Manchester