[Mauiusers] Limiting the number of processors by queue (multi-dimension fairness policies)

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:49:36 MDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 03:35:27PM -0500, Michael Homa alleged:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Garrick Staples wrote:

> > > Hi Joe:
> > >
> > > Yes, that would work. But, and I didn't really explain this at all in my
> > > note (was trying to be brief), I'm trying to have Maui do all the "policy
> > > stuff" and have torque just define the resource(s). I'd like to avoid having
> > > some policies in torque and some policies in Maui. If there's no way to do
> >
> > A practical reason to have as much policy in torque as possible is because of
> > error messages.
> >
> > When you violate a policy in torque, the user gets immediate feedback because
> > the job is rejected with an error message.
> >
> > When you violate a policy in maui, the job sits around deferred until someone
> > bothers to check on it.
>
> Hi Garrick:
>
> That's a reasonable point. And, to boot, the messages in Maui are
> incredibly cryptic; deciphering the output from checkjob can test one's
> skill. But, just for my understanding/learning, does Maui not have the
> capability of limiting the number of nodes per user or the number of
> processors per user? Is what I'm encountering the result of a limitation
> in Maui or is it that the features are there but I just haven't done it
> correctly?

I seem to recall that MAXPROC doesn't work on CLASSCFG.  I have this in my
config:
   CLASSCFG[long]          QDEF=long QLIST=long
   QOSCFG[long]            MAXPROC=512 QFLAGS=DEDICATED

University of Southern California

The pro-disease movement: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/