[Mauiusers] Limiting the number of processors by queue (multi-dimension fairness policies)

Michael Homa mhoma at uic.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:35:27 MDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 03:13:20PM -0500, Michael Homa alleged:
> > On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Greenseid, Joseph M (IS) wrote:
> >
> > > would setting resources_max.nodect=4 for the queue in torque do what you need?
> >
> > Hi Joe:
> >
> > Yes, that would work. But, and I didn't really explain this at all in my
> > note (was trying to be brief), I'm trying to have Maui do all the "policy
> > stuff" and have torque just define the resource(s). I'd like to avoid having
> > some policies in torque and some policies in Maui. If there's no way to do
>
> A practical reason to have as much policy in torque as possible is because of
> error messages.
>
> When you violate a policy in torque, the user gets immediate feedback because
> the job is rejected with an error message.
>
> When you violate a policy in maui, the job sits around deferred until someone
> bothers to check on it.

Hi Garrick:

That's a reasonable point. And, to boot, the messages in Maui are
incredibly cryptic; deciphering the output from checkjob can test one's
skill. But, just for my understanding/learning, does Maui not have the
capability of limiting the number of nodes per user or the number of
processors per user? Is what I'm encountering the result of a limitation
in Maui or is it that the features are there but I just haven't done it
correctly?

Michael