[Mauiusers] Limiting the number of processors by queue (multi-dimension fairness policies)

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:21:09 MDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 03:13:20PM -0500, Michael Homa alleged:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Greenseid, Joseph M (IS) wrote:
>
> > would setting resources_max.nodect=4 for the queue in torque do what you need?
>
> Hi Joe:
>
> Yes, that would work. But, and I didn't really explain this at all in my
> note (was trying to be brief), I'm trying to have Maui do all the "policy
> stuff" and have torque just define the resource(s). I'd like to avoid having
> some policies in torque and some policies in Maui. If there's no way to do

A practical reason to have as much policy in torque as possible is because of
error messages.

When you violate a policy in torque, the user gets immediate feedback because
the job is rejected with an error message.

When you violate a policy in maui, the job sits around deferred until someone
bothers to check on it.

University of Southern California

The pro-disease movement: http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/