[Mauiusers] Maui Full Open Source Fork?

Jason Williams jasonw at jhu.edu
Wed Jul 8 07:59:00 MDT 2009

Dave,

Thank you for your very detailed response.  I think that the sort of
community driven development model that you suggest might be something
that could work, if done in such a way that it makes it easy for the
developer to submit modifications and track their individual branches.
I think that a master roll, of vetted source code modifications and
enhancements, is  definitely still going to be an added bonus so long as
the party that is vetting the modifications and enhancements is
democratic and not fascist about it.

I personally see Maui as a wonderful addition to the Open Source
community.  It has (and moreover could have) many legs up on the
competing schedulers and workload balancers out there. I understand that
CRI's major focus is Moab, since that is where your money is made.  But
having good face with the Open Source community is also good.  That
being said, it's really up to you guys whether or not perusing the
legalities of switching the license is worth it to you.

I can tell you from my experience with Maui where I work, having some
sort of new-ish releases with updates, bug fixes, security enhancements,
etc. would be a wonderful thing.  I have a few I would submit myself
should this whole thing happen.  So I'll continue to watch this list in
hopes that some day you guys might announce that you're going to start
doing something similar to what you suggest.  Even if it only means that
some of the nagging bugs in Maui get fixed and some new releases start
rolling out.

Thanks again Dave for all your time.

--
Jason Williams