[Mauiusers] Any limit to number of CLASSCFG entries?

Marc Noguera marc at klingon.uab.es
Wed Jan 21 10:07:07 MST 2009

Hello everyone,
at my department we are moving from pbs_sched to maui scheduler. We are
using torque's pbs_server and pbs_mom as resources managers.
I have modified maui.cfg file according to our previous configuration
using pbs_sched and created CLASSCFG[XXX] entries, one for each queue
that we use.
All of our nodes are mapped to only queue queue using an attribute in
file $PBSHOME/spool/server_priv/nodes file. This attribute is the same
as the name of the queue. For instance on of this queues qmgr list
output is:

Qmgr: list que qdynamics
Queue qdynamics
        queue_type = Execution
        total_jobs = 1
        state_count = Transit:0 Queued:0 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:1
Exiting:0
        resources_max.cput = 200:00:00
        resources_min.cput = 00:00:00
        resources_default.cput = 200:00:00
        resources_default.neednodes = qdynamics
        mtime = Wed Jan 21 17:50:52 2009
        resources_assigned.nodect = 1
        enabled = True
        started = False

Note that this queue is not started on purpose as it was not working
properly.
We have other queues mapped to nodes in the same way. In maui.cfg file I
have entered one CLASSCFG[] line for eache queue, leading to this:

DEFERTIME 0
CLASSCFG[parallel]
CLASSCFG[qdynamics6]
CLASSCFG[qdynamics7]
CLASSCFG[qgetab1]
CLASSCFG[qgetab2]
CLASSCFG[qstruct2]
CLASSCFG[qserq1]
CLASSCFG[qserq2]
CLASSCFG[transmet2]
CLASSCFG[transmet3]
CLASSCFG[transmet4]
CLASSCFG[transmet5]
CLASSCFG[transmet1]
CLASSCFG[qstruct1]
CLASSCFG[qdynamics]

Which creates a class with default.feature=name of the queue&attribute
of the node and therefore, as far as I understant, maps queues to nodes.

However when I submit a job to qdynamics queue or qstruct1 queue this
job is not mapped to the correct node but anywhere. Showconfig shows
this, on the CLASSCFG section.

CLASSCFG[[NONE]]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[NONE]
CLASSCFG[[ALL]]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[NONE]
CLASSCFG[parallel]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[parallel]
CLASSCFG[qdynamics6]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qdynamics6]
CLASSCFG[qdynamics7]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qdynamics7]
CLASSCFG[qgetab1]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qgetab1]
CLASSCFG[qgetab2]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qgetab2]
CLASSCFG[qstruct2]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qstruct2]
CLASSCFG[qserq1]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qserq1]
CLASSCFG[qserq2]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[qserq2]
CLASSCFG[transmet2]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[transmet2]
CLASSCFG[transmet3]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[transmet3]
CLASSCFG[transmet4]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[transmet4]
CLASSCFG[transmet5]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[transmet5]
CLASSCFG[transmet1]  DEFAULT.FEATURES=[transmet1]

I suspect that for some reason maui is not acquiring CLASSCFG qstruct1
and qdynamics. However, when I change the order of CLASSCFG entries by
puting "CLASSCFG[qdynamics]" entry in the third position in maui cfg,
then the two last CLASSCFG entries become not recognized.

Is there any issue on the number of CLASSCFG entries that can be used?
or am I missing something?
BTW the other queues are working without any problem.

Thank you all

Marc