[Mauiusers] Re: GRES not functional

Sebastien Corot scorot at free.fr
Mon Jan 12 15:36:58 MST 2009

Hi

Yes, it works fine for (torque 2.3.5, maui 3.2.6p21), but only when one
license count is required. It does not work anymore when using "-l
software=whatever:2", "-l software=whatever+2" or "-l gres=whatever:2".
The job is rejected by maui, telling that it cannot allocate the
resources.

It seems that moab is able to handle this as explained in maob
documentation, paragraph 13.3.2 Resource Manager Extension Values.

However managing a license count greater than one would be very useful
with softwares that use tokens instead of simply one license per job. In
such cases, the sofware request several tokens (that could be declared as
global generic resourse, GRES) and the number of tokens depends on many
parameters such as the cpu number used during the job and the type of
task carried out by the software.

Sebastien

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:02:31 -0500, Tom Rudwick wrote:

> Try
> qsub -l software=matlab ...
>
> with your setup the way it is. (i.e. you are set up for a floating
> resource on the GLOBAL node)
>
> We've gotten that to work.
>
> The only problem we've seen with it is that the count is lost when the
> server restarts. I guess there is no persistent count saved.
>
> Tom
>

> Brian O'Connor wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> using maui 3.2.6p19/torque-2.3.0 to try and configure license
>> management on a single machine as is instructed in the Admin guide;
>>
>> http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/
MauiSchedulerAdminMan