[Mauiusers] NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY MINRESOURCE not working

Steve Young chemadm at hamilton.edu
Wed Jan 7 06:56:14 MST 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 04:04:42PM -0500, Shawn Poindexter alleged:
>> Thanks, but my 8GB nodes are listed first. The server_priv/nodes
>> file format
>> is:
>>
>> node25 np=4
>> node26 np=4
>> node32 np=4
>> node33 np=8
>> node40 np=8
>>
>> With the node33 and higher having 24GB.
>
> Maui generally uses nodes at the end of the list first.  Reverse
> your node list
> and it will do what you want.

Hmm... interesting.  I didn't realize that maui looked at the
server_priv/nodes file in reverse. I wonder now how I got it to work.
I'm guessing it must be a combination of settings to get the nodes
allocated from the list (from smallest to largest)? For our grid, maui
appears to allocate nodes in the order of the nodes file which is what
I wanted. Our grid seems to work as expected and I didn't have to
reverse the nodes file to do it. I'm wondering what other settings in
maui will effect this? The node settings I have are as follows:

NODEACCESSPOLICY      	SHARED
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY  	PRIORITY
NODEAVAILABILITYPOLICY 	COMBINED
NODECFG[DEFAULT]	PRIORITYF='SPEED'

It's been a while since I set this up but I vaguely remember I tried
MINRESOURCE and didn't get the results I wanted either. I am using an
older version of maui (3.2.6p14). Anyhow, just curious to know from
some of the maui guru's some more of the details on how this works and
what settings effect it. Maybe some others can share how they set it
up and have it working. Thanks.

-Steve