[Mauiusers] Re: maui not schedulling jobs in avaliable resources

Roy Dragseth roy.dragseth at cc.uit.no
Sun Feb 22 05:25:59 MST 2009

Hi,

I think I've got the solution coded now.  By introducing a new config
parameter, IDLEJOBDEPTH, one can get maui to continue to parse down the idle
job chain until it reaches the IDLEJOBDEPTH limit.  The default value is 1 to
preserve the current behaviour of maui or else the patch will not be accepted
by CR.  My plan is to use this in combination with a per user based MAXIJOB to
prevent single users from flooding the queue.  If you set IDLEJOBDEPTH to the
total number of job slots in your cluster you should be able to fill the
available job slots within a reasonably few iterations.

It's not the optimal solution, one should perhaps introduce some logic that
understands why some jobs might be idle while others further down the chain
can run, but given the potential complexity introduced by combining classes,
standing reservations and node features I'm not clever enough to figure out
how.

I'll submit a patch against v3.2.6p21 to bugzilla for review by CR  as soon as
its up and running again, I get this error right now

Software error:
The ./data/params file does not exist. You probably need to run checksetup.pl.
at Bugzilla/Config.pm line 333.
Compilation failed in require at /var/www/html/cri/bugzilla/index.cgi line 34.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/www/html/cri/bugzilla/index.cgi line
34.

 For help, please send mail to the webmaster (webmaster at clusterresources.com),
giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

If you cannot wait for bugzilla send me a note and I'll send it to you
personally.

r.