[Mauiusers] Re: maui not schedulling jobs in avaliable resources

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Fri Feb 20 11:07:47 MST 2009

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:24:57 -0500
Michel Béland wrote:

> Hi,
Hi Michel,

> This looks like what we observe here. We also see that showbf never
> says that resources are available with no time limit, even when
> obviously there are some. The command showstart shows that jobs can
> start immediately, but they quite often do not.
I think that many of us are suffering this problem, at least after
reading the list in last months.

> How do you set MAX IDLE jobs per class? What does it mean, really?
CLASSCFG[queueA]          MAXIJOB=1

this will limit the number of idle jobs belonging to "queueA". So, if
you have 3 jobs from userA in queueA, one will be queued, two will be
blocked.
I've played with the value, and only works if you set the limit to 1, 3
won't work.

Seems that maui stops evaluating jobs after finding two consecutives
that cannot run.

It's dangerous if you have many queue properties, cause
every schedulling cycle only one job per queue is beeing evaluated, so,
a queue that can handle 100 jobs, will nedd 100 cycles for beeing full.

i.e:

ifae               --   48:00:00 72:00:00   --   89 140 --   E R

This queue can run 94 jobs, it will take 5 cycles to be full again.

HTH,
Arnau