[Mauiusers] job throttling policies

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Mon Apr 27 06:20:31 MDT 2009

> > hi all,
> >
> > i'm testing some job throttling policies and their effect on the
> > scheduling.
> >
> > showq shows some running jobs, 0 idle jobs but some number of blocked
> > jobs. none of the blocked jobs seem to violate any of the MAXI...
> > limits.
> > showq|tail -1
> > Total Jobs: 284   Active Jobs: 252   Idle Jobs: 0   Blocked Jobs: 32
> >
> > how is this possible?
> >

> Stijn,
>
>  Strange, 'showq -b' reports the reason:
> {{{
> 2126055 krishna violates active HARD MAXPS limit of 7200000 for user
> krishna  (R: 432000, U: 6912466)
> }}}
>
> checkjob 2126055 will report the same reason.
>
> So maybe 'checkjob' will report what the problem is.

yes (and i'm aware of the existence of checkjob ;) it does, but as far
as i understood (and also given the reported values of eg MAXPS and not
MAXIPS) it does only show why the job can't be started, not why it is
not seen as idle.
i'm getting the impression that when a jobs violates a limit, it's
considered blocked and not idle by maui (as opposed to my understanding
of running/idle/blocked jobs)

stijn

--
The system will shutdown in 5 minutes.