[Mauiusers] Maui and SYSTEMMAXPROCSECONDPERJOB

Jason Williams jasonw at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 16 13:39:32 MDT 2009

So perhaps I am misunderstanding what this directive is supposed to do,
but from reading the docs on the website, I gather that if I set
SYSTEMMAXPROCSECONDPERJOB to something like 3600 in my maui.cfg and try
to submit an 8 processor job  with a requested wallclock of 1 hour that
the job should be rejected by maui.  Because 1 hour = 3600 seconds, but
if you are requesting 8 processors, that is actually 28800 PROCESSOR
seconds you are requesting which is over the limit above.  This is
assuming, of course, a very large SYSTEMMAXJOBWALLTIME set in maui.cfg
as well.

I've actually noticed that
SYSTEMMAXPROCSECONDPERJOB
and
 SYSTEMMAXJOBWALLTIME
seem to be no-ops inside of Maui.  Now I've tried to look through the
source code and see where those parameters are actually used, but the
source code seems to be obfuscated to the point where it would take me
hours to track down what it's actually doing.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Or am I just reading the parameter
description wrong on the site.  Also, I know that torque has a way of
setting the default wall clock time.  What I am doing is an experiment
on a test cluster because there seems to be a need rising to intersect
wallclock limits with an actual processor-second-per-job limit.  It
would be really nice if I could get the processor-second-per-job limit
working in maui.

--
Jason Williams
Systems Administrator/HPC Architect