[Mauiusers] Torque/Maui one queue multiple QoS levels

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Tue Apr 14 13:13:38 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 11:29 -0700, James A. Peltier wrote:
> I'm trying to implement a single queue in torque with multiple QoS levels in
> maui so that I can manage priorities and such in one place, Maui.  The idea is
> that jobs submitted specify the -l qos=<level> for short,long,high,low,normal
> jobs.  Below is my maui.cfg file and details for a job submitted with qsub -I
> -l qos=long.  Of particular note is the regardless of the -l qos it sets the
> QOS to normal.  Please help I seem to be missing something rather obvious.
> Please note that I did try with QDEF=normal QLIST=normal,low,high,long,debug
> for both USERCFG[DEFAULT] and CLASSCFG[DEFAULT] which, if I understand
> correctly, should have provided my users with the option to specify these QoS
> levels via #PBS -l qos=<level>

Unfortunately, in my experience even very recent versions of Maui do not
seem to use the qos job resource in TORQUE.  There is code that looks
like it ought to be supported in src/moab/MPBSI.c, but I cannot get it
to work in practice:

-----
# in one shell
$ showq --version
maui client version 3.2.6p21

$ qsub -I -A UT-SUPPORT -l qos=negbal
qsub: waiting for job 190.verne.nics.utk.edu to start
[job starts]
-----

-----
# in another shell on the same system while the above job is running
$ checkjob 190
State: Running
Creds:  user:troy  group:nicsstaff  account:UT-SUPPORT  class:computation  qos:DEFAULT
-----

I haven't had time to delve into this further, though.

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee