[Mauiusers] user and groups

Arnau Bria arnaubria at pic.es
Thu Apr 2 09:10:15 MDT 2009

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:52:04 +0200
Stijn De Weirdt wrote:

> hi all,
Hi,

> we would like to organize our users in groups wrt eg fairshare.
> one thing that is aboslutely unclear to me is how maui sees the
> concept of a group. the documentation on this is rather thin and yes,
> i could check the code but sending emails is easier ;)
>
> the documentation suggests that a groupname (ie what you must put
> between []  in GROUPCFG[]) corresponds to a regular group in linux.
> but i still have questions:
From our experience:

> a. how is this checked? is this group the primary group of the user or
> does maui scan all groups to check if the user is a member?

only primary group. We specify all secondary groups one byone.

> b. is this checked at all? or better: why can i send a job with torque
> using qsub -W group_list=somegroup and maui happily starts the job
> (ok, no GROUPCFG was defined, but the user certainly was not in the
> group. if this is only checked when any GROUPCFG is defined then i
> apologise for my impatience)
I dont' get you... sorry :-(

> c. how do other people manage users and groups within maui? some more
> patches maybe?
we do not take care of users, only groups.

here is an example of FS in our farm:

GROUPCFG[picvo]         FSTARGET=12 QDEF=lhpicvo
GROUPCFG[picvosgm]      FSTARGET=44 QDEF=lhpicvo MAXPROC=3
GROUPCFG[picvoprd]      FSTARGET=44 QDEF=lhpicvo
QOSCFG[lhpicvo]         FSTARGET=1 MAXPROC=50

** MAXPROC in picvosgm is ignored but doc says it mut work.

> many thanks,
>
> stijn
HTH,
Arnau