[Mauiusers] user and groups

Stijn De Weirdt stijn.deweirdt at ugent.be
Thu Apr 2 08:52:04 MDT 2009

hi all,

we would like to organize our users in groups wrt eg fairshare.
one thing that is aboslutely unclear to me is how maui sees the concept
of a group. the documentation on this is rather thin and yes, i could
check the code but sending emails is easier ;)

the documentation suggests that a groupname (ie what you must put
between []  in GROUPCFG[]) corresponds to a regular group in linux.
but i still have questions:

a. how is this checked? is this group the primary group of the user or
does maui scan all groups to check if the user is a member?

b. is this checked at all? or better: why can i send a job with torque
using qsub -W group_list=somegroup and maui happily starts the job (ok,
no GROUPCFG was defined, but the user certainly was not in the group. if
this is only checked when any GROUPCFG is defined then i apologise for
my impatience)

c. how do other people manage users and groups within maui? some more
patches maybe?

many thanks,

stijn

--