[Mauiusers] All processes run on the head/master node

Eygene Ryabinkin rea+maui at grid.kiae.ru
Thu Nov 27 09:07:07 MST 2008

Pascual, good day.

Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 05:52:16AM +0100, Pascual Mu?oz Mu?oz wrote:
> When we send jobs to the queue through a script like:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #PBS -l nodes=2
>
> cd /home/justme/
> mpirun -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE -np 4 /usr/bin/whatever
>
> The 4 processes run on the master node! And the cluster node is free!

I guess that if you'll say 'nodes=4', then the task will be spawned to 2
hosts (or Torque will reject the job, because you have less than 4 nodes
in the cluster).  Seems like your Maui setup thinks about CPUs when it
sees 'nodes'.

Read
  http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/pbsintegration.shtml
  https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/npaci-rocks-discussion/2008-October/034088.html
--
Eygene Ryabinkin, Russian Research Centre "Kurchatov Institute"