[Mauiusers] All processes run on the head/master node

Pascual Muñoz Muñoz pmunoz at gco.upv.es
Wed Nov 26 21:52:16 MST 2008

Hi all,

We are assembling a cluster following:

http://debianclusters.cs.uni.edu/

Right now we have a master/head node and a cluster/compute node. Both
are listed in the configuration files (torque pbs nodes and maui
machines.LINUX) to have 2 processors.

When we send jobs to the queue through a script like:

#!/bin/bash
#PBS -l nodes=2

cd /home/justme/
mpirun -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE -np 4 /usr/bin/whatever

The 4 processes run on the master node! And the cluster node is free!

On other clusters, this works fine, so the problem is not in the program
being run, rather in the torque/maui (we guess) configuration.

So we did something wrong in configuration, but can't guess what. All
your ideas will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

--
Dr. Pascual Muñoz Muñoz - Telecommunication Engineer
Optical Communications Group - iTEAM Research Institute