[Mauiusers] Runing multiple tasks on nodes

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Nov 7 20:54:10 MST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 07:42:40PM -0800, SCIPIONI Roberto alleged:
> Dear all,
>

> I am using both Torque and Maui on our Linux Cluster
> I noticed that if I use the option
>
> #PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=4:node1+1:ppn=4:node2
>

> it does allocate 4 cpus on node 1
>                        4 cpus on node 2
>
> however if I use
>

> #PBS -l nodes=node1:ppn=4+node2:ppn=4
>

> it only allocates 1 cpu on node1 and 1 cpu on node2
>
> Any reason why ?
> Do I need to set some parameters in the maui.cfg file ?
> I tried to change some parameters but it did not help
> Is the parameter TASKDISTRIBUTIONPOLICY of any use for that ?

I think the second case is an invalid node spec.

The nodes spec has to start with an integer number for the number of nodes.
Generally speaking, you don't specify node names.  You should let the scheduler
find nodes that meet the request.

-l nodes=2:ppn=4 should give you 8 procs on 2 nodes.

University of Southern California

Revoke LDS Church 501(c)(3) Status - http://lds501c3.wordpress.com/