[Mauiusers] configuring proper maui parameters

Virendra Pratap. Singh vpsingh at yahoo-inc.com
Mon May 26 00:01:39 MDT 2008

Hi all,

    I am trying to setup a torque+maui system with intention of sharing
it among two groups. I have some scheduling/job prioritization
requirements to meet and wish to understand what all parameters I need
to invoke in the scheduler (maui) conf to achieve the same.

    Have mentioned the problem statement stepwise:

1)       Need to set up a common shared torque+maui cluster for two
groups (G1 & G2).

2)       Need the group to share the cluster based on jobs i.e. if the
cluster can run 100 jobs in parallel then the two groups G1 and G2 will
have the job quota set amongst them say G1:60 and G2:40.

3)       If a group has all its job in running state and no queued job
left to execute, and there are jobs in queued stated from the other
group (and job slots still available on cluster) then the scheduler
should do a backfill from the other group's job queues.

4)       Incase the job quota of one group, say G1, is being consumed by
other group, say G2, and after sometime the group G1 starts putting its
job on the queue, then the scheduler should from the next scheduling
cycle start pushing the jobs for the group G1 till the quota for G1 jobs
is met.

5)       Each group will have multiple priority queues to push their
jobs on. Essentially meaning that the scheduler will have to calculate
the priority within a group jobs also when it is about to schedule one
from it.

     Any pointer to the parameters that would help me achieving this
will be great.

Currently I am working with following version of torque & maui.

Torque --> 2.1.9

Maui --> 3.2.6p19

Regards,

Virendra