[Mauiusers] Re: mauiusers Digest, Vol 46, Issue 2

Justin Finnerty justin.finnerty at uni-oldenburg.de
Tue May 6 14:02:01 MDT 2008

>    1. Partitions: user & groups (Arnau Bria)

Firstly, my understanding was one should use the QOS system for managing
user access and standing reservations for managing resources.  (And that
partitions are obsolete)

For example my maui.cfg looks something like:
SRCFG[sr1]  HOSTLIST=n[01-32] CLASSLIST=q1,q2 QOSLIST=sr1 PERIOD=INFINITY
QOSCFG[qs1] USERESERVED=sr1
CLASSCFG[queue1] QDEF=sr1 QOSLIST=sr1,sr2
GROUPCFG[group1] QOSLIST=sr1,sr2 QDEF=sr1

If I added lines like:
USERCFG[user] QOSLIST=sr2,sr1 QDEF=sr2
my experience would suggest that maui would assign the first available
resource, and not the "best" available resource, that matches the
requirements.  First available means in the order in which maui sees
resources.  As maui gets the list of nodes from (for example) torque, the
node allocation always follows the order of the nodes in the torque node
file.

For example if all the nodes in "sr1" where listed in the PBS nodes file
before "sr2" then a job from "user" in "group1" would start in "sr1" until
all nodes are allocated, then in "sr2".  (I think the same would happen
for partitions also.)

My guess is that even if the user line above was (ie no "sr1"):
USERCFG[user] QOSLIST=sr2 QDEF=sr2
the job would still start in "sr1" (but I may be wrong here).

Cheers
        Justin

--
Dr Justin Finnerty
Rm W3-1-218   %20     Ph 49 (441) 798 3726