[Mauiusers] Help allocating real memory

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Jun 15 17:54:18 MDT 2008

----- "ricardo tosta" <ricardo.tosta at ufabc.edu.br> wrote:

> I would like to know how can I limitate the use of memory for a job in
> the node of a Maui-PBS HPC?

Have a look at pbs_resources, the ones that probably
interest you are mem, pmem, vmem and pvmem.

The leading 'p' on the options that have it means that
they are a per-process request.

If you're using Linux then you'll need to be aware that
the resource limit set by mem/pmem won't be enforced by
the kernel if you're code is doing allocations over 128KB
as current glibc versions use mmap() for that.

This means that if you want code to fail malloc() when
they reach their limits then you'll be best off to set
pvmem.

cheers!
Chris