[Mauiusers] Packing small jobs into node sets

Ansgar Esztermann aeszter at gwdg.de
Mon Jul 28 05:58:50 MDT 2008

Hello,

on our clusters, the high-speed interconnect is partitioned into
several differently-sized networks (at this point, we have a 24-node
switch and a bunch of two-node "networks", i.e. two nodes connected
back-to-back). I am using node sets to ensure that only nodes within a
single network are allocated to multi-node jobs.

Now, I am wondering whether it is possible to make maui conserve
resources like this:
a) prefer smaller networks to larger ones (i.e. use a 2-node "net" for
a 2-node job rather than allocating two nodes out of a 24-node net);
b) when starting two 1-node jobs, pack them into the same 2-node net
rather than occupy one node each out of two different node sets.

As to point b, this seems to work via backfill once the queue is full,
but I'd like it on an empty cluster as well.

Thanks,

A.
--
Ansgar Esztermann