[Mauiusers] Interactive job preemption

Corey Ferrier coreyf at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Jul 11 09:53:01 MDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 03:48:10PM -0700, James A. Peltier wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I had this working but I have lost the documentation to setting it up
>again after suffering from a disk failure some time ago.
>
>Anyways,  I have defined the queues in torque, but now for the life of me
>I can't remember what options I need to set in the maui.cfg file to allow
>these interactive jobs to suspend jobs running in the batch queue.
>
>#
># Create queues and set their attributes.
>#
>#
># Create and define queue batch
>#
>create queue batch
>set queue batch queue_type = Execution
>set queue batch resources_default.nodes = 1
>set queue batch enabled = True
>set queue batch started = True
>#
># Create and define queue interactive
>#
>create queue interactive
>set queue interactive queue_type = Execution
>set queue interactive Priority = 1000
>set queue interactive enabled = True
>set queue interactive started = True
>#
># Set server attributes.
>#
>set server scheduling = True
>set server acl_hosts = queen.fas.sfu.ca
>set server managers = root at queen.fas.sfu.ca
>set server operators = root at queen.fas.sfu.ca
>set server default_queue = batch
>set server log_events = 511
>set server mail_from = queen
>set server scheduler_iteration = 600
>set server node_check_rate = 150
>set server tcp_timeout = 6
>set server mom_job_sync = True
>set server keep_completed = 300
>set server next_job_number = 10304
>
>maui.cfg definitions
>
>QOSWEIGHT 1
>
>QOSCFG[interactive] QFLAGS=PREMPTOR
>QOSCFG[batch] QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE
>
>CLASSWEIGHT 1
>
>CLASSCFG[interactive] QDEF=interactive PRIORITY=10000
>CLASSCFG[batch] QDEF=batch
>
># Job Preepmtion
># specifies how preemptible jobs will be preempted
># available options are REQUEUE, SUSPEND, CHECKPOINT
>PREEMPTPOLICY SUSPEND
>
># How should maui handle jobs that utilize more resoureces
># than they requested.
>RESOURCELIMITPOLICY MEM:EXTENDEDVIOLATION:CANCEL
>
>What the heck am I missing?

PREMPTOR is a typo in your QOSCFG[interactive] definition?

Perhaps put the PRIORITY on the QOSCFG line?

  QOSCFG[interactive] QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR  PRIORITY=10000
  QOSCFG[batch]       QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE  PRIORITY=1

- Corey

Corey Ferrier                               coreyf at clemson.edu
HPC Group, CCIT, Clemson University               864-656-2790
340 Computer Court, Anderson, SC, USA 29625