[Mauiusers] maui dies

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Tue Jan 29 08:43:34 MST 2008

mauiusers-bounces at supercluster.org schrieb am 01/28/2008 10:14:42 PM:

> i am currently running maui v2.2.6p17-snap.1163711909 and torque v2.
> 3 on a double dual core opteron cluster.  last week maui suddenly
> began dying and trying to restart.  if i try to stop maui it will
> fail (as no process is running).  also, if i try to restart it
> manually it will register successfully but no process, again, will
> be running.
>
> in the maui logs the service attempts to start but toward the end of
> the process all i see that could be of any use to me is
>
> 01/28 13:29:21 ServerDemonize()
> 01/28 13:29:21 INFO:     child process in background
> 01/28 13:29:21 ServerAuthenticate()
> 01/28 13:29:21 MFULock(/var/spool/maui/,/var/spool/maui/maui.pid)
> 01/28 13:29:21 INFO:     parent is exiting
>
> perhaps this is an obvious thought but, if there is a child in the
> background the parent should not exit.  this is where i have begun
> trying to look for my solution.  i had increased the debug level to
> gain further information upon restart but have not seen anything
> that would be very helpful.  at least to  me.
>
> i have seen posts related to this topic on the lists but as of yet
> have not seen a definitive answer to any posts that would lead me in
> the right direction to diagnose the problem.  any help from the
> community would be appreciated.

Have you checked whether or not the maui process is crashing? You can run
"maui -d" from the console (as administrator) to see whether the process
terminates "normally" or with a signal. If it is crashing, you can run it
with gdb to obtain a stack trace (which might or might not provide a clue
of what is going on).

Regards,
Jan Ploski