[Mauiusers] setres examples?

Tod Hagan tod at gust.sr.unh.edu
Mon Jan 28 16:54:58 MST 2008

All,

I'm looking for guidance and examples on using setres because it doesn't
seem to do much that's useful. The goal is to reserve N CPUs of a
particular type using something like 'setres -u tod -f myri TASKS==4',
but setres can't seem to do this.

I'd appreciate any insight folks may have.

Thanks.

Below are version info and the output from several attempts at creating
assorted reservations.

The version of Maui:

        > setres -v
        maui client version 3.2.6p19

First, one thing that works:

        > setres -u tod m102
        reservation created

        reservation 'tod.0' created on 1 node (2 tasks)
        m102:1

A second thing kind of works, but not for the stated purpose:

        > setres -u tod TASKS==4
        reservation created

        reservation 'tod.0' created on 2 nodes (4 tasks)
        s106:1
        s105:1

The problem with the above is that it's reserving the wrong type of
nodes. Getting specific doesn't work:

        > setres -u tod -f myri TASKS==4
        reservation created

        reservation 'tod' created on 0 nodes (0 tasks)

No nodes are reserved; it seems to be a null reservation.

Trying a different method, a reservation is made, but again for the
wrong type of nodes:

        > setres -u tod -r myri TASKS==4
        reservation created

        reservation 'tod.0' created on 2 nodes (4 tasks)
        s106:2
        s105:2

Evidently the '-r myri' is ignored.

Example 3 on
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/commands/setres.shtml
shows that an explicit range of nodes can be reserved like so:

        % setres -r PROCS=1:MEM=512 -g staff -l interactive
        'node00[3-6]'

yet it doesn't work:

        > setres -u tod 'm[102-106]'
        ERROR:    'setres' failed
        ERROR:    cannot interpret regular expression 'm[102-106]', rc:
        11
        ERROR:    cannot determine nodelist for 'm[102-106]'

Another attempt:

        > setres -u tod 'm10[2-6]'
        reservation created

        reservation 'tod.0' created on 5 nodes (10 tasks)
        m102:1
        m103:1
        m104:1
        m105:1
        m106:1

Oh dear. But this is worse:

        > setres -u tod 'm[102,103,104,105,106,115,116,123,129,131,132,145,210,213,214,215]'
        reservation created

        reservation 'tod.0' created on 122 nodes (244 tasks)
        m101:1
        m102:1
        m221:1
        m222:1