[Mauiusers] insufficient idle procs available ?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jan 24 15:58:29 MST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 02:20:10PM +0200, Itay M alleged:
> pbsnodes -a says:
> state = busy
> np = 4   --- which is correct, this machine has 4 processors, but at
> the moment only 2 processrs (=jobs) are running on it. And this is
> where I think the problem is - while the node should allow up to 4
> procs to be used on it, it only utilizes 2 procs. The other 2 are
> doing nothing.
> And yes, this is consistent with the diagnose -n shows : each node
> that has the (for example)  "WARNING:  node 'node17' has more
> processors utilized than dedicated (4 > 2) " problem, also uses less
> processors than it should at the moment.
>
> How can I make sure the node allows to use it's maximum number of processors?

The "busy" node state in PBS is based on the node's load average.  It has
nothing to do with what jobs are assigned, running, supposed to be running, or
any config in pbs_server or the scheduler.

See the pbs_mom manpage on $ideal_load and $max_load.