[Mauiusers] insufficient idle procs available ?

Itay M itaym.tau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 04:36:42 MST 2008

I don't see any reservation, but perhaps I don't understand what the
rejection state means. Here the checkjob -v (shortened) output:

/=====================/
State: Idle
Req[0]  TaskCount: 1  Partition: ALL
Network: [NONE]  Memory >= 0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0
Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE]
Exec:  ''  ExecSize: 0  ImageSize: 0
Dedicated Resources Per Task: PROCS: 1  MEM: 512M
NodeAccess: SHARED
NodeCount: 1
job cannot run in partition DEFAULT (idle procs do not meet
requirements : 0 of 1 procs found)
idle procs:   4  feasible procs:   0
Detailed Node Availability Information:
node01         rejected : State
node02         rejected : State
node28         rejected : State

/=====================/

What does the rejected: State means?
showres shows as if all currently running jobs are 'reserved' . That
is, the number of  'Active Jobs' (using showq) equals to the number of
'reservation located' (using showres) . The job numbers are also
identical in the two outputs. Is this how it is supposed to be?

On 1/22/08, Jan Ploski <Jan.Ploski at offis.de> wrote:
> mauiusers-bounces at supercluster.org schrieb am 01/21/2008 10:19:12 PM:
>
> > Hi,
> > A user that has hi QOS submits a job but then his job gets to idle
> > state. There are 11 procs available, and some 20 other jobs in the Q
> > state in lower priotiry, however the job (id 191803) does not start.
> > It can take very long time until the job starts - even more than an
> > hour. I think that it only starts when a running job has ended, and
> > then the hi QOS jobs finally gets into R status. But I'm having some
> > troubles confirming this theory.
> > Question is: There are 11 procs available, why doesn't the job starts
> > immediatly? It only needs one proc., and there are 11 free procs, but
> > check job says 'insufficient idle procs available 0 < 1'  .

What does checkjob -v tell you about the rejection reason for each node?
Perhaps you have a reservation on the idle processors which the job is not
allowed to use?

 Regards,
 Jan Ploski