[Mauiusers] Most "stable" version of Maui

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Jan 14 15:53:56 MST 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:38:44AM -0500, Michael Barnes alleged:
> An strace on the client command says this many times (as root and me):
>
> bind(6, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(831), sin_addr=inet_addr("0.0.0.0")}, 16) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
>

> I see nothing similar to the working version (meaning there is no bind()
> call).

bind()'ing to a privileged port happens in the torque client libs (maui is a
torque client).

Because of the setuid bit on pbs_iff, you can't strace it as non-root.  It will
simply not work.

When using non-root, the only way this can fail with EACCES is when pbs_iff
isn't setuid root or you are strace'ing it.

The only way I can think of to cause this particular error when running as root
is if the client was setuid non-root.  Though I can't think of a reason why
clients would be setuid non-root.  Weird umask?