[Mauiusers] Re: [torqueusers] compiling Torque / Maui with 64 bit gcc

Michael Barnes Michael.Barnes at jlab.org
Thu Jan 10 07:54:07 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:00:00PM -0800, Garrick Staples wrote:
> For Maui, you *must* set -D__M64 when building 64bit.

Is this not handled by configure?

Also, I seem to have successfully compiled a 64bit version of Maui on
Fedora Core 7 with the older gcc34 instead of the default gcc (version

I just checked with grep -r __M64 . with the gcc34 build, and I see
tests for the macro, but I don't see it set anywhere, and in our test
system, it _seems_ to work as is.

I'm using Maui 3.2.6p13 if this matters.

I used Maui on 64bit systems for years w/o ever setting that macro
without any trouble.

Is this handled better in newer versions (ie, by configure)?  Also, in
my version, I don't see M64 mentioned in anything besides the files:

Although, I agree that Maui does not need to be 64bit, many systems
today generate 64bit binaries by default.  Does current Maui tarballs
handle this?