[Mauiusers] Maui/Torque and Fairshare with secondary Unix groups

Andrew J Caird acaird at umich.edu
Thu Jan 3 11:06:41 MST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Bas van der Vlies wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Andrew J Caird wrote:
>

>>    Both, depending on the availability of getgrouplist at compile
>> time?
>>
>>    Not to make it hard, but you asked. ;)
>>
> Andy,
>
>   I think both solutions is a bit confusing ;-)  Which one has then the
> highest priority, FSGROUP or getgrouplist?

   It would be confusing.  But if it wasn't would it still be maui?  (I
joke, I think maui/moab are excellent, but they aren't trivial.)

   What I had in mind was that at compile time if getgrouplist existed then
that method would be selected, unless --without-getgrouplist (or something
like that) was given to configure.  If getgrouplist doesn't exist or
--without-getgrouplist was specified, then the build process prints a
warning about Method 2 being used.

   That's probably too complicated and confusing, but would be the most
flexible.

   Next most flexible is choosing the getgrouplist option and not building
that functionality on platforms that don't support it.

   If we could amass a list of maui platforms and assess the availability
of getgrouplist we might find that it would work in enough places.

   The safest thing, of course, is to assume nothing and implement Method
2.

   But I'm just opining into the monitor, at this point, as I have neither
the skill nor time to be productive here.  I think whoever does the work
gets to pick. :)

--andy