[Mauiusers] Maui/Torque and Fairshare with secondary Unix groups

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Thu Jan 3 07:53:44 MST 2008

Happy new year everyone,

  I had some time to examine the source of maui and found two ways to
implement this functionality in maui. So we are not depended anymore
on the user primary group for Fairshare or specifying some
commandline parameters for qsub.

Here are the two solutions:
  1) Introduce a new parameter: FSGROUPS, eg:
     FSGROUPS one two three

    When a job is submitted:
     a) check if the user is a member of one of this groups
     b) if yes then set the credentials to the matching group.

2) When a job is submitted:
  a) get all the groups where the user is a member of with the
"getgrouplist" function. I do not know if this function is available
on all platforms.
  b) Then check if for one of the user groups a fairshare target is set
  c) if yes then set the credentials to this group.

Option 2 has more freedom but i do not know if all OS'es support the
getgrouplist function.

I want to know which solution the community thinks is the best one?

Regards