[Mauiusers] fairshare and backfill

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sat Feb 23 20:57:12 MST 2008

----- "Steve Young" <chemadm at hamilton.edu> wrote:

> "Give everyone a fair share of resources while
> maintaining close to 100% utilization of those resources"

I've not been able to read the list for a while, and
am currently trying to catch up on a plane - so this
is from memory (caveat emptor).

What we do at VPAC is constrain users by doing:

USERCFG[default] MAXJOB=20,25 MAXPROC=200 MAXIJOB=5

In other words, a user can run up to 20 jobs if others
have eligible jobs, if not we let them go up to 25.
They can't exceed a total of 200 CPUs in total and
only their first 5 waiting jobs are permitted to
be eligible, the rest are blocked.

We also use fairshare based on their primary group
(which represents their member institute of VPAC)
XFACTOR, number of CPUs and bypass for priority of
eligible jobs.

Walltimes are constrained to a maximum of 3 months
by Torque.

We don't do any preemption currently, though the
preliminary BLCR support in the Subversion trunk
for Torque at the moment may be of interest to us.

Hope that helps!
Chris