[Mauiusers] NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY MINRESOURCE ignored?

Bas van der Vlies basv at sara.nl
Fri Feb 8 06:04:58 MST 2008

Bram Metsch wrote:
> Dear Maui users,
>
> At our clusters, we have nodes with different amounts of memory. We configured
> torque such that it sets a default amount of pmem per processor. Alternatively,
> the submitter of a job may specify this number on his own. Hence, each job
> should be submitted with a specified memory requirement.
>
> In Maui's configuration file, we set
>
> NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY MINRESOURCE
>
> However, we still watch that jobs which only require little memory are started
> on nodes with a large amount of RAM while nodes with less (but sufficient) RAM
> remain free. Is this parameter ignored in certain settings?

I think you must have a different setup.

Example 1:  Favor the fastest nodes with the most available memory which
are running the fewest jobs.
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY PRIORITY
NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='SPEED + .01 * AMEM - 10 * JOBCOUNT'

- http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.2nodeallocation.shtml