[Mauiusers] Routing Queues (was Re Large queues cause Maui to idle)

Michael Galloway mgx at ornl.gov
Tue Dec 16 08:09:29 MST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:27:37AM -0500, Steve Young wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> 	First I would try to submit some jobs just to the execution queue to make
> sure it works. I'm wondering since it says " job cannot be started - cannot
> set hostlist" that you have a list of machines in your server_priv/nodes
> file that lists "serial" as a feature to a certain amount of nodes for this
> queue. Another thing I wonder is what does the batch script for the job
> look like? Is the user using -l host=<name of node> in it? I'm not for
> certain what the message is supposed to mean but it sounds like it isn't
> able to find any nodes to allocate the job to. Hope this helps,
>
> -Steve
>
> On Dec 16, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Michael Galloway wrote:

queue is full:

echo "sleep 90"| qsub -q serial
qsub: Maximum number of jobs already in queue MSG=total number of jobs in queue exceeds the queue limit: user mgx at bioinfo, queue serial

i had set max_queuable in the queue config:

create queue serial
set queue serial queue_type = Execution
set queue serial max_queuable = 36
set queue serial resources_max.walltime = 168:00:00
set queue serial resources_default.neednodes = serial
set queue serial resources_default.nodes = 12
set queue serial resources_default.walltime = 168:00:00
set queue serial enabled = True
set queue serial started = True

and there are 36 in there:

[mgx at bioinfo ~]$ qstat -q

server: bioinfo

Queue            Memory CPU Time Walltime Node  Run Que Lm  State
annotate           --      --    18:00:00   --    0   0 --   E R
sroute             --      --       --      --    0 8157 --   E R
md                 --      --    168:00:0   --   18   0 --   E R
serial             --      --    168:00:0   --    0  36 --   E R
                                                  18  8193

the jobs in the serial queue are runnable if i just run them manually with qrun.

-- michael