[Mauiusers] Large queues cause Maui to idle

Troy Baer tbaer at utk.edu
Wed Dec 10 13:06:04 MST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-10 at 11:18 -0800, Nicholas Geraedts wrote:
> Our cluster is using Torque 2.3.4 and Maui 3.2.6p21. We have one user
> who will submit several thousand small jobs which in total take a day
> or so to complete. However, when the queue is filled (and showq
> truncates the output), Maui will not process any other jobs even if
> they are bound for nodes that are currently available. We have several
> nodes reserved for high-memory, long-duration jobs and if a job is
> submitted to these nodes, they are not processed until some of the
> earlier flood has worked its way through the system.
>

> I have looked at the documentation, but I can't seem to find any
> settings related to my problem. Does anyone have any ideas as to how
> to fix this issue?

Take a look at
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/a.ddevelopment.shtml
-- by default, Moab will only consider the first 4096 jobs it gets from
the underlying RM.  If you need more than that, you'll need to increase
the value of MMAX_JOB in maui.h and recompile.

	--Troy
--
Troy Baer, HPC System Administrator
National Institute for Computational Sciences, University of Tennessee