[Mauiusers] Packing small jobs into node sets

Ansgar Esztermann aeszter at gwdg.de
Tue Aug 5 01:38:00 MDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 13:37 , Ronny T. Lampert wrote:

>> a) prefer smaller networks to larger ones (i.e. use a 2-node "net"
>> for a 2-node job rather than allocating two nodes out of a 24-node
>> net);
>> b) when starting two 1-node jobs, pack them into the same 2-node
>> net rather than occupy one node each out of two different node sets.
>
> For both a) and b) you want to read here (I cannot tell you the
> exact solution for your problem):
>
> http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.2nodeallocation.shtml#node

Thank you for the pointer! After reading that chapter, I am pretty
convinced that I can achieve what I want by setting
NODESETPRIORITYTYPE BESTFIT
(although I did not have the opportunity to test).

> You can write your own priority function for node allocations. For
> you also section "5.2.2.9    LOCAL" might be very interesting.
>

> For example, I have the following
>
> NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY    PRIORITY
> NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='-JOBCOUNT'
>
> which does the exact reverse of what you want (spread the jobs as
> evenly as possible).

As far as I can see, one could use a similar configuration to make
sure jobs are packed within one node; but this does not say anything
about how nodes are allocated with respect to node sets.

A.
--
Ansgar Esztermann
DV-Systemadministration