[Mauiusers] Packing small jobs into node sets

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 05:37:05 MDT 2008

> a) prefer smaller networks to larger ones (i.e. use a 2-node "net" for a
> 2-node job rather than allocating two nodes out of a 24-node net);
> b) when starting two 1-node jobs, pack them into the same 2-node net
> rather than occupy one node each out of two different node sets.

For both a) and b) you want to read here (I cannot tell you the exact
solution for your problem):

http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.2nodeallocation.shtml#node

You can write your own priority function for node allocations. For you
also section "5.2.2.9    LOCAL" might be very interesting.

For example, I have the following

NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY    PRIORITY
NODECFG[DEFAULT] PRIORITYF='-JOBCOUNT'

which does the exact reverse of what you want (spread the jobs as evenly
as possible).

Cheers,
Ronny