[Mauiusers] Backfill chunking

Hemanth Yamijala yhemanth at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Apr 1 04:39:42 MDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to understand backfill chunking in Maui + Torque
environment. From what I understand, the configuration will allow Maui
to accumulate resources freed by jobs, for a configured time, before
allocating them for other backfill jobs.

In my Maui.cfg, I set up the following:

BFCHUNKDURATION 00:05:00
BFCHUNKSIZE 5

The default walltime for torque queues is set to a large value (several
thousand hours). The rest of the Maui configuration is default
configuration.

Now, on a 14 node cluster, I did the following:

echo "sleep 3600" | qsub -l nodes=7
echo "sleep 3600" | qsub -l nodes=14 (This got queued, and got a
reservation)

echo "sleep 3600" | qsub -l nodes=3 -l walltime=0:30:00
echo "sleep 3600" | qsub -l nodes=4 -l walltime=0:30:00 (Both these jobs
ran)

echo "sleep 3600" | qsub -l nodes=7 -l walltime=0:30:00 (This got queued)
echo "sleep 3600" | qsub -l nodes=3 -l walltime=0:30:00 (This also got
queued)

Now, when I deleted the running 3 node job using qdel, the last 3 node
job immediately ran.

Shouldn't Maui have waited for BFCHUNKDURATION time before running this
? Can you please help me understand whether backfill chunking should
have worked here ?

Thanks
hemanth