[Mauiusers] Requesting a given number of processors

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Fri Sep 28 09:58:54 MDT 2007

mauiusers-bounces at supercluster.org schrieb am 09/28/2007 03:50:12 PM:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Jan Ploski wrote:
>
> > However, it still doesn't allocate correctly. I now tried with
> > ncpus=9, which is more than the number of processors in any single
> > node:
>
> Ahh, as I said previously, you can't use ncpus as that's only for
> requesting CPUs on a single CPU box.
>
> You need to do nodes=9 to get what you need..

I tried with nodes=9 now. A bit better than ncpus=9, but unfortunately
still wrong:

Messages:  cannot start job - RM failure, rc: 15044, msg: 'Resource
temporarily unavailable REJHOST=node37 MSG=cannot allocate node 'node37'
to job - node not currently available (nps needed/free: 4/1,  joblist:
346591.srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de:0,346610.srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de:1,346630.srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de:2)'
PE:  9.00  StartPriority:  -89
job can run in partition DEFAULT (47 procs available.  9 procs required)

For some unfathomable reason it is trying to allocate 4 procs on node37...
Even though there are other nodes with 4 processors available... Or it
could pick 1 processor from node37 and the rest from other nodes.

Best regards,
Jan Ploski