[Mauiusers] Requesting a given number of processors

Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr] harbaugh at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Sep 28 08:14:45 MDT 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Jan Ploski wrote:

  > "Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr]" <harbaugh at ncifcrf.gov> schrieb am
  > 09/28/2007 02:35:50 PM:
  >

  > > Jan-
  > >
  > > Depending on how you have things configured, you may be able to use
  > > '-l ncpus=100'.
  >
  > Toni,
  >
  > Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it doesn't work in our cluster. (I am
  > the administrator, so if you happen to know any options that influence it,
  > please share.) I think ncpus=100 makes it look for a machine with 100
  > processors. I get 'rejected : CPU' lines in the output of checkjob -v.
  >
  > It's amazing that these trivial matters seem not to be documented
  > anywhere.

It may be something in your configuration, although I have never tried
this asking for 100 cpus, only 8, and was able to get it to work.

Are you using "nodes=", either in your torque queue configurations or
on the qsub command line?  If you submit a job and it stays queued,
what does the qstat -f look like?

Thanks,
Toni

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford                       harbaugh at ncifcrf.gov
System Administrator
Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC)
National Cancer Institute
Contractor - SAIC/Frederick