[Mauiusers] Requesting a given number of processors

Jan Ploski Jan.Ploski at offis.de
Fri Sep 28 07:40:15 MDT 2007

mauiusers-bounces at supercluster.org schrieb am 09/28/2007 03:08:27 PM:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Jan Ploski wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to tell Maui "I want 100 processors" without telling
> > it "I want 25 nodes with 4 processors each"?
>
> In qmgr you have to do:
>
> set server resources_available.nodect = 100
>
> It's a kludge to make nodes be valid up to that number, and then Maui
> can use that as the number of CPU's that you want.

Chris,

I did change it as you describe (and restarted maui, pbs_server just for
sure):

Qmgr: list server @srvgrid01
Server srvgrid01.offis.uni-oldenburg.de
        server_state = Active
        scheduling = True
        total_jobs = 148
        state_count = Transit:0 Queued:64 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:84
Exiting:0
        managers = xxx
        operators = xxx
        default_queue = dgiseq
        log_events = 511
        mail_from = adm
        resources_available.nodect = 188
        resources_assigned.ncpus = 0
        resources_assigned.nodect = 94
        scheduler_iteration = 600
        node_check_rate = 150
        tcp_timeout = 6
        pbs_version = 2.1.6

However, it still doesn't allocate correctly. I now tried with ncpus=9,
which is more than the number of processors in any single node:

job cannot run in partition DEFAULT (idle procs do not meet requirements :
0 of 9 procs found)
idle procs:  76  feasible procs:   0

Rejection Reasons: [CPU          :   43]

43 = all currently online nodes in my cluster.

Best regards,
Jan Ploski