[Mauiusers] snap shot versions

Steve Traylen steve.traylen at cern.ch
Thu Sep 13 01:44:39 MDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Josh Butikofer wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Maybe I'm crazy, but that is the way that Maui snapshots used to
> work. Several in the community
> asked that we instead start releasing snapshots of patches BEFORE
> the patches were released. After
> several snapshots of the next patch were deemed stable and
> complete, then we stop releasing
> snapshots and release a finished patch. You can see that we started
> this back in January of this year.

Hi Josh,

  I don't think you are crazy. :-) It is good that intermediate
snapshots are released of course. Just
  how they are named I was querying.

  I was suggesting the release order goes like

  maui-.2.6p19.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p19-snap-1.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p19-snap-2.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p20.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p20-snap-1.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p20-snap-2.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p21.tar.gz

  rather than the current

  maui-.2.6p19.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p20-snap-1.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p20-snap-2.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p20.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p21-snap-1.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p21-snap-2.tar.gz
  maui-2.6p21.tar.gz

  the advantage I see of the first is that with a `sort -n` of the
version numbers in the .tar.gz files they appear
  in chronological order. In particular if you put in an RPM .spec file.

  Version: 2.6p19-snap1

   then this will be correctly upgraded  to

  Version: 2.6p20

   when it is released. With the current listing this does not happen
and say
   Version: 2.6p21-snap-2
    can not be upgraded to
    Version: 2.6p21

  since it is apparently older.

  To me it makes sense but as you say maybe others think differently?

  Steve