[Mauiusers] Picking up a random node in Maui

Hemanth Yamijala yhemanth at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Sep 7 05:20:48 MDT 2007

Hi,

I use Maui 3.2.6p19 + Torque 2.1.8 on a small cluster of similar
machines. I have set the NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY to FASTEST.

The Maui documentation specified here:
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/docs/5.2nodeallocation.shtml
mentions that when set to FASTEST, and node speed or processor speed is
not specified, nodes will be selected in a random order. I've not
specified any node specific configuration, and the machines are also
identical. So, I assumed that when a job is submitted requiring a single
node, each such new job would select a node randomly. Assuming that all
nodes are free every time a job is submitted, there is a fair chance
that a different machine is chosen each time.

However, what I find is that for every new job, usually the node
selected is always the same (assuming of course that it is free). For
some reason (for e.g. to make sure that a bad node wouldn't always get
allocated), if we require a random machine to be selected under such
conditions each time a job is run, is there any way to make this
happen ?

Thanks
Hemanth