[Mauiusers] resource contention on multi core nodes

Kevin Van Workum vanw at tticluster.com
Thu Oct 11 10:21:43 MDT 2007

I've seen some discussion on this topic, but would like to hear
people's current opinions and solutions. When using multi core nodes,
what is the best way to prevent one user from using more than his
portion of the node's resources. For example, what stops him from
requesting a single processor on a quad core node, and then using all
four processors? Or if I'd like to restrict him to 1/4 of the
available physical memory, how can I do that. Other local resources
for which contention may exist are the network and disk i/o. How do
you deal with these issues?

Kevin