[Mauiusers] showstart command

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Fri Nov 30 02:54:21 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 14:20 -0500, Steve Young wrote:
> [root at jake ~]# showstart 48542
> job 48542 requires 2 procs for 20:20:00:00
> Earliest start in      20:09:26:14 on Wed Dec 19 23:26:38
> Earliest completion in 41:05:26:14 on Wed Jan  9 19:26:38
> Best Partition: DEFAULT
>
> [root at jake ~]# showstart 48574
> job 48574 requires 2 procs for 20:20:00:00
> Earliest start in      20:09:26:14 on Wed Dec 19 23:26:38
> Earliest completion in 41:05:26:14 on Wed Jan  9 19:26:38
> Best Partition: DEFAULT
>
> Both jobs show the same dates. So it would appear to me that
> showstart can't really predict when the job can run. It can only
> predict when the next job will be able to run? Anyone run into this
> before?

If Maui has scheduled the job already, you will get the start and
completion times for the job within that schedule. As Jan Ploski
writes, you can get Maui to schedule more of your jobs. Here at
NSC we run a RESERVATIONDEPTH of 300, which means that the first
300 jobs within the idle queue get a reservation, which showstart
will report on. You can see the reservation also with checkjob and
"showres -n".

This does not mean that the job reservations are accurate
predictions. For some systems they might be almost accurate, but
the jobs within that system needs to run as long as declared in
the walltime specificaion, and you need a straight FIFO scheduling.

For jobs that have no reservation, including blocked jobs, the
showstart output is misleading and almost meaningless. For those
jobs, I would prefer that showstart said that it cannot give
a start time approximation.

Best regards,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se